Last week I listed the books we use for our semester On Knowing God, which amount to a Top Twelve Theology Books list from the whole of Christian history.
A reader sent me a follow-up note pointing out that all but one of the books is available online at the Christian Classics Ethereal Library. While these aren’t always the translations or editions I would assign for students, they’re all good English and free.
1. The Bible. Selections: Paul’s Letters and the Gospel of John.
2. Irenaeus of Lyons, Demonstration of the Apostolic Preaching.
3. Athanasius of Alexandria, On the Incarnation.
4. Gregory of Nazianzus, The Five Theological Orations.
5. Cyril of Alexandria, On the Unity of Christ.
(Not at CCEL)
6. Augustine of Hippo, The Enchiridion on Faith, Hope, and Love.
7. Anselm of Canterbury, Cur Deus Homo (Why God Became Man).
8. Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologiae selections.
9. Martin Luther, Selections.
10. John Calvin, The Institutes.
11. The Heidelberg Catechism by Ursinus and Olevianus
12. John Bunyan, Pilgrim’s Progress.